How long does oral sedation last?
We will ensure your medication level will cover your entire treatment, whether that is one hour and even up to four hours.
How is your medication chosen?
There are many different types of oral sedation medication. We will determine the type and level that is best for you. After thorough discussion, we will prescribe a sedative that will be most effective for your needs and wants. Factors that we consider together are:
- Your medical history – Different people react differently with oral sedation medications. A thorough review of your health and your current medications is crucial as we need to be able to predict any possible interactions and how the drug will be metabolized.
- The length of your treatment–Ahead of time, we will discuss your treatment plan, and we will give you a good idea of the duration of each treatment. With how well oral sedation removes anxiety and helps with relaxation, you may choose to have multiple treatments completed at once. Many of our patients prefer this – one appointment over multiple.
- The comfort level we need to achieve – We’ll talk about your level of anxiety or fear, your past experiences, and what we can provide based on what you need to make you feel comfortable.
Oral sedation benefits include…
- easily administered via pill (no needles)
- reduced anxiety & fear
- reduces memory of past dental treatments
- increased comfort
- increased sense of control over your fears
- greater ease undergoing long treatments
- reduced gag reflex
- multiple procedures completed in fewer visits
- safe & effective
- amnesic effect.
Before- and after-treatment care…
Before you receive your prescription from us for oral sedation, we will have a good discussion about your feelings about having dental treatment and about your overall health. If oral sedation is a good option for you, and if you choose to proceed with oral sedation, you will take the pill at home at a set time (usually about an hour before your appointment). You’ll begin to feel the effects even before you arrive at the practice. This is because we need the medication to be fully effective by the time we provide your care. The medication will last throughout your appointment, and the effects will not wear off before you leave our practice. Because of this, you must be aware – and we’ll remind you when we write your prescription –that it’s mandatory you arrange to have someone bring you to our practice and be there to take you home after your care is complete.
Oral sedation facts:
- aids in helping people with dental phobia achieve and maintain a regular dental care regimen that is so important to achieving and maintain dental and overall health
- no needles
- only one pill
- lower cost to IV sedation
- can range from minimal sedation to moderate sedation
- if you fall asleep, we will be able to awaken you easily
- can also be used for those with low pain threshold, have extremely sensitive teeth, and who have a bad gag reflex.
How do you know if you would benefit from oral sedation?
Dental sedation is an incredibly effective means of reducing the stress and anxiety you may feel about your upcoming dental appointments. If you’re apprehensive about dental visits, the first step is to call us, your dentist in Etobicoke at (647) 503-4939. We’ll help you relieve your apprehension or fear.
We look forward to working with you to eliminate this common barrier to better oral and overall health!